Monday, October 18, 2010

book of fred quote

"She brushed my hair away from my face and said how glad they all were to see me, and that I could stay there was long as I wanted to, hopefully forever, though she understood if I felt I needed to be with my other family. I noticed that she didn't say 'real' family, and I was glad about that, because at that moment though it surprised me to realize it, Alice and Roy and Heather felt just as real to me as anyone" (289).

Mary Fred says this after she escapes from the Bunker and gets back to Alice's house. This is a moment of realization for her. She now realizes that family doesn't have to be someone that has your blood running through their veins. Family is the group of people that love you, and that you love back the same amount, or even more. Mary Fred thought she knew what family was, but she was wrong. After living with Alice, Roy and Heather she got a better sense of what love and family meant. Before she was unsure of what direction she wanted to go with her life. But now, after all she has been through, she knows that she wants to be right there living with Alice.

1 comment: