Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My stance on social networking

I find social networking to be a force that destroys many of the things I value. It causes an assimilation of culture that then spreads to cover the world. This culture makes it normal to lose the unspoken social rules and thus forget how to be polite. It’s hard to remember that another human is on the other end of the message. I make the same mistake with e-mails alone; I ask my parents to proofread almost all the e-mails I send for accidental tone, which still doesn’t always work. Fact is, nothing can beat face-to-face communication, as almost all of communication is non-verbal. This means body language, facial expression, even inflection, changes in the pitch of the speaker’s voice, provide more information than the words being said. Social networking removes the human aspect of communication, even with use of emoticons, which look extremely unprofessional in any media, and give the impression of low intelligence. Thus, social networking removes identity of culture, removes social restraints that people keep to protect friendships, cut out most of communication due to the media used, and give off the impression of dwindling intelligence. Not a very positive effect, as I see it.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't looked at social networking this way before, nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree with everything in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Sami said, ive never looked at it in this way, and now that i see it through your eyes i agree, all that you said is true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is completely true!I haven't really thought about it, but it is very different to talk to a person on FAcebook or in a text than talking to that same person face-to-face. I probably say things I wouldn't say to their faces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completly agree. I mean, just imagine how pathetic soceity is today over Facebook, then think about how our grandchildren will act towards it. Before we know it, people will be able to communicate without really communicating at all. I bet before we die we could live VICARIOUSLY through computers.





    (Um, I'm not really sure how to make the vocab word red)

    ReplyDelete